According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC):
- Children contract approximately 6-10 colds per year; adults get 2-4
- It is estimated public schools lose $30-$40 per day from their budget for each day a student is absent
- Teachers lose an average of 5.5 days per year due to contagious illnesses
- Every year, more than 165 million school days are lost due to illness. It is believed that a great number of these days could be reduced if children merely washed their hands properly and regularly.
- When washing with soap and water is not readily convenient, use of [properly researched] hand sanitizing products is recommended