National center for infection control professionals, healthcare experts, manufacturers, distributors, suppliers and consumers focused on best practices in hand hygiene and hand sanitizer products

Thursday, October 21, 2010

GOJO --maker of Purell alcohol hand sanitizer- faces $1 million lawsuit

courtesy of Akron Beacon Journal's
nice people! (not)..
A Cleveland area container company is suing GOJO Industries Inc. of Akron, the maker of the hand-sanitizer Purell, saying GOJO owes it more than $1 million.

Kaufman Container Co. of Brook Park contends that GOJO owes it the money after canceling outstanding orders for packaging for a GOJO ''hand-sanitizing product.'' The lawsuit, filed in Summit County Common Pleas Court, does not name the product.

The complaint says that in April 2009, GOJO began buying large quantities of packaging, including plastic bottles and pump dispensers, for its ''hand-sanitizing product... in anticipation of the upcoming flu season and projected H1N1 pandemic.''

Kaufman calls itself a ''packaging sourcing center'' and says in the suit that it worked with manufacturers to have the packaging made to GOJO's specifications.

Kaufman contends it tried to cancel orders made with manufacturers on behalf of GOJO, but was able to cancel only 85 percent. Kaufman says it could not cancel the remaining 15 percent because the items ''had already been manufactured or because the orders constituted work in progress.''
The value of those items was more than $1 million, Kaufman says.

The breach-of-contract suit has been assigned to Summit County Common Pleas Judge Patricia A.

No comments: