Report: Someone spiked Clover teacher's tea with hand sanitizer
The teacher had stepped away from her desk for a few moments around 3:30 p.m. Sept. 2. After returning, she drank her tea and noticed it had a "peculiar taste," according to a York County Sheriff's Office report.
When the teacher looked down into her styrofoam cup, she noticed a foreign substance floating in her drink. She realized it was the hand sanitizer she keeps on her desk, the report stated.
The incident was reported to the sheriff's office Tuesday and police are investigating it as an assault.
A warning on Purell hand sanitizer says it should be kept out of reach of children. It contains 62 percent ethyl alcohol, and if swallowed could be poisonous.